Clitheroe Golf Club was originally founded in 1891 but moved to its present site in 1932, following generosity of the Southworth family that made possible the erection of a fine clubhouse building as well as a full 18 hole golf course.
Designed by legendary Scottish golf course architect James Braid, Clitheroe Golf Club is a beautiful 18 hole parkland course located in the heart of the Ribble Valley. The course is a challenge to all levels of golfer with a premium on straight driving, but without being too demanding physically due to its level terrain.
The views from the course are quite spectacular over Longridge Fells and Waddington providing the backdrop to Stonyhurst College and the mediaeval Mitton Church.
In 1937 an exhibition match featuring the American Cup Ryder captain Walter Hagan and local golfing legend Jimmy Rothwell confirmed the status of the rapidly maturing course.
Clitheroe is regarded as one of the top courses in Lancashire. The County Championships, Senior, Ladies and Junior have been hosted several times and CGC has recently been host to the regional qualifying competition for The Open.